February 12, 2010

Super Bowl = Super Stressed!

Remember those football cupcakes I told you I was making for Super Bowl Sunday? Well I did make them but it wasn't my most successful day in the kitchen. :(

It first started with the chocolate cupcakes. I mixed the batter and filled 2 muffin tins and went to stick them in the oven. I got the first one in, and then realized that the second one wasn't going to fit because I had a thermometer in the oven that was in the way. So in the process of trying to take the thermometer out I somehow ended up flipping one pan of cupcake batter upside down on the oven door/bottom of the oven!!! I just stood there in amazement with my hands on my head. Bryan very nicely came in to the kitchen, calmed me down and helped clean up. The cupcake batter started to bake, which helped with easy clean up. I wish I took a picture because it's funny now, but at the time it was NOT funny whatsoever.

Funny side note: I had gotten blue and gold cupcake liners for the Colts and Saints respectively. All of the blue cupcake liners were in the pan that flipped. I told Bryan after it happened that this must means that the Colts are going to lose.....and what do you know they did!!!! So the battle of the cupcakes was just an omen for what was going to happen later on. :)

So I baked the 12 cupcakes that survived, tinted some icing green and got ready to frost. I don't have a pastry bag, so to pipe icing I usually just use a ziploc bag. I had put the icing in the bag, and piped about 1/2 of the grass on the first cupcake when.....

EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!

This happens to my bag. Apparently the bag wasn't strong enough so it exploded all over the counter. At this point I realized maybe I should take a picture. The best thing that happened because of all this was Bryan told me I should go buy a set of pastry bags an icing tips, to prevent future disasters. Yay!!

Green grass icing.

Chocolate Oreo Truffle Footballs. These were difficult, because it's hard to make the football shape, and it was hard to dip them in chocolate and make them look smooth. Ria knows what I'm talking about, she made some for the Super Bowl too!

Here's the cupcakes after I stuck the footballs on top, and before I piped the laces.

The finished product!! And can I tell you, I was actually very thankful that there were only 12 to decorate as opposed to 24. :)

My kitchen was a disaster!

Our food spread. Everyone said the cupcakes tasted great, so I guess it was worth it!!

The girls in the kitchen. This is Meghan, Laura, and Meg.

The boys watching the game. Don't they look intrigued!? :) This is Eli, Bryan Clements, Bryan Kamp, and Curt. Sorry this isn't the best picture.

We ended up having a good night, even though the day was a little stressful. Next year I'll stick to something a little less complicated...maybe rice krispy treats.

5 comments:

  1. Oh girlfriend... I know what you mean! I am so greatful I did not choose to make the cupcakes too. Glad everyone still liked them and I am sure 12 was plenty :) What an experience...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ash! Funny story now, but it always kill you when things like that happen. You got the recipe off Bakerella's blog, right? She always makes things look so simple and then they turn out to be immensely complicated. The same thing happened to me with cupcake hamburgers and sugar cookie french fries. :) I'm glad everything got salvaged, though, and they look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little footballs - I bet they are yummy! I also love your frosting skills - the grass looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are so cute!! way to go! i followed this link: http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html

    it's kind of tricky but hopefully you will be able to figure it out. I can try and help you if you have any questions, but honestly my husband helped me out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! good thing for those husband of ours!! haha. looks great!!

    ReplyDelete