March 26, 2013

Wisdom from an 8 year old

Last week, one of my students walked into class and said, "Guess what I'm doing on Sunday?" I asked her what, and she told me she was getting baptized! I could see the excitement in her face, and I told her that was awesome!! I asked some details, and then asked if I could come? She said, yes and I told her to tell her mom to give me the details. I got a sweet text from her mom that night. Her mom, Kassie,  is our sweet PE aid at the school. We have become really good friends this year, and Bryan and I went on a date with Kassie and Drew (her parents) a few weeks ago. They are such an amazing family and I feel blessed we have gotten to know them this year.

So, on Sunday we joyfully went to see Keatyn get baptized. As I listened to the children's pastor read her testimony I was captured by these words Keatyn had written, 

"I wanted to get baptized to show people I will not do what I want to do. I will do what Jesus wants me to do."

I was blown away. Not a dry eye in the place after her daddy baptized her!! 
What an amazing revelation, and from an 8 year old nonetheless! I started thinking about how meaningful that statement was. What a simple concept, yet in our world it's easy to forget.

This reminded me of the song "Ruin Me" by Jeff Johnson, that we played at our wedding. 
The lyrics are:

"Ruin my life, the plans that I've made.
Ruin desires for my own selfish gain.
Destroy the idols that have taken your place,
Til it's You alone I live for."

This has not left my mind the past few days, and I've been dwelling on it. It was a good reminder that God cares more about my holiness than my happiness.

This is me and Keatyn that afternoon. Please pray for her as she begins to follow Christ!! I was so blessed and thankful to be a part of her big day. :)


"Turn my heart toward your statues and not toward selfish gain." 
Psalm 119:36

So even though I teach my students many things, they never cease to amaze me. 
And they end up teaching me far more than they will ever know.

1 comment:

  1. how awesome - what a testimony!! How lucky she has a teach who understands her and her new found faith!

    ReplyDelete