August 3, 2012

Classroom Crafting

Happy Friday! Today sure doesn't feel like Friday, but it's hard for me to keep track of my days in the summer. Sadly, I have only 2 weeks left of my glorious summer break. Teachers report back to school on the 21st and the kiddos will come back the 28th. So it's time for my brain to switch back into school mode! To help with that, I've been working on some crafts for my classroom.

Now I am still not 100% sure on which grade I will be teaching next year. It's between Kindergarten and 2nd. My preference would be Kinder because I love that age, and because I already have a year of kinder experience, so I know what to expect. It depends on how many kids we have registered for Kinder, to see if we need a 5th teacher again. I had a few projects in mind I wanted to do, thanks to Pinterest, so I had to start with the ones that would work for both grades, just in case.

The first one was to separate my crayons by color. The kids all start out with a box of crayons, but inevitably they come to me saying, I don't have a red, blue, green, etc. So this way, it will be quick and easy for them to find the color they are looking for, and they won't spend hours digging in the crayon bucket. I saw a few different ways to organize them on Pinterest, so I adapted all of them and came up with my own way. I bought 9 galvanized buckets from the dollar section at Target, and then made my own chevron (LOVE) labels for them. Then I just printed them off and laminated them. Easy peasy! If you are interested in the labels, I would be happy to share them with you! Just let me know in the comments and I'll send them your way! I used this free chevron paper. I got my inspiration here, here, and here.

I plan on using nails or thumbtacks to hang them on the wall in the back of my room. I'm really excited about how they turned out and can't wait to use them in my room!


My next project was Dr. Seuss themed of course! Next year, our campus theme is "Oh, the places you'll go!" I actually suggested it, and it was the one picked! I already had tons of Dr. Seuss stuff, so I was well on my way. I used pages from an old calendar to make a welcome sign. It's not totally finished, but this is what I have for now. I still need to add a solid color background to each circle, and I'm not positive those are the letters I want to use. I might want some that are a little less busy. THIS is the picture I used for inspiration. I actually found some Dr. Seuss ribbon at Wal-Mart, and so it will be perfect to use in between each of the letters. I'll be sure to show off my finished project when I get it completed.

I still can't believe school is about to start. Here is to another great year!

5 comments:

  1. Love everything! I can't wait to see you classroom this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited about your classroom this year--it is going to be great with you having time to get it just right! on hanging your buckets, you might use round screw hooks--they will be sturdy in the wall and hold those cute little buckets without dropping and breaking your crayons!

    Happy new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! May I please have a copy of the chevron color file for the crayons? I teach kindergarten and love this idea. You are right, the kids love to dig through the extra crayon bucket.
    Thanks,
    Erin
    eduros@hse.k12.in.us

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the chevron labels! I teach kindergarten too! I would really appreciate you sharing your color labels!

    Thanks!
    Nikki

    Nicole.zabolotney@fwcs.k12.in.us

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your labels as well and would very much appreciate your sharing....

    Would you send them to kasey.miller@knoxschools.org ?

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete